Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Prayer for the forgotten dead.

I came across this beautiful prayer a few days ago and it has stayed with me ever since. It is at the same time deeply charitable in its concern for the forgotten and a unsettling reminder that we, too, will someday drift out of living memory:

Prayer for the Forgotten Dead

O merciful God, take pity on those souls who have no particular friends and intercessors to recommend them to Thee, who, either through the negligence of those who are alive, or through length of time are forgotten by their friends and by all. Spare them, O Lord, and remember Thine own mercy, when others forget to appeal to it. Let not the souls which Thou hast created be parted from thee, their Creator.

May the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks!

    I like to think that some years after the Final Resurrection, many of us will have friends from 2300 BC, from odd corners of the globe, and have had more time with them than any of us have had with family members. We might even be friends with their never-to-die-again family wolf.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I'm Rachel's husband and Darcy's daddy. I'm a Hoosier, an accountant, and an Episcopalian. Politically, I'm a progressive who believes in the preferential option for the poor. I use the blog as a sort of journal - to interact with my reading and sketch out ideas.