We believe that God created the universe not out of any internal necessity but out of pure self-giving love. It was creation for the benefit of others.
God, not being subject to sinful passions, can fully and freely love in this manner. Humans, on the other hand, being subject to sinful passions, must first engage in self-denial before any self-giving is possible.
Here we must follow Jesus. The culmination of his life was the abnegation of his own will in his gift of himself for others. It was self-denial oriented towards love. Take up your cross and follow him.
- The baptizing Christ
- The essentials of Orthodox spirituality
- The historical development of Orthodox spiritualit...
- Cut military spending, strengthen diplomacy and th...
- Pray for peace.
- A God who turns the other cheek
- What have you learned?
- This mountain will be thrown into the sea.
- War's a banker, flesh his gold
- The voice of the Lord speaks
- Mister Rogers, the saint
- Brief thoughts on self-denial
- The Christmas wars are a failure of hospitality
- The Angelus: A Christ-Centered Marian Prayer
- Follow-up on healing and acceptance
- ▼ December (15)