Monday, April 11, 2011

Schillebeeckx wrap-up


I've finished reading Christ the Sacrament of the Encounter with God but I'll be thinking about it for some time to come. It's full of such rich theology. You need to find a copy and take your time with it.
"You have shown yourself to me, Christ, face to face," says St. Ambrose: "It is in your sacraments that I meet you." it is by the sacraments that we journey toward our final goal - the sacramental way is our hidden road to Emmaus, on which we are accompanied by our Lord. And even though we are not yet able to see him, we are conscious of his concealed presence near us, for when he addresses us through his sacraments, our hearts, intent upon his word, burn with longing and we turn at once to Christian action - in the words of the Evangelist, "Was not our heart burning within us whilst we spoke in the way?"
Image: Edward Schillebeeckx by David Levine

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I'm Rachel's husband and Darcy's daddy. I'm a Hoosier, an accountant, and an Episcopalian. Politically, I'm a progressive who believes in the preferential option for the poor. I use the blog as a sort of journal - to interact with my reading and sketch out ideas.